This event is sponsored by MSMTA (Maryland State Music Teachers Association).
Date: March 10 – 13, 2023.
Chairperson: Karen Skelly (Email).
Fee: $15.00 per student per level.
Deadline: Online registration and fees to MSMTA by January 29, 2023. For enrollment, see links below. Print-out applications and payment must be postmarked by Monday, January 30, 2023.
Rules: See the MSMTA Student Activities Portal. Additional links to rules documents, including a link to the RCM Syllabus, are provided below.
Description: This popular program, began nearly 35 years ago, now offers testing in music theory and ear training at 12 levels. Students may begin at any level and may take up to two levels in one year. There are no age or grade restrictions for any level of the test, and adults frequently participate as well. Starting in 2019, tests will follow the Royal Conservatory of Music Syllabus.
Four different Theory Awards can be earned by students for excellent scores. See links below.
Points are also awarded towards the Jr. and Sr. DMA awards.
Details about the Theory Test in 2023:
- The deadline and date will be the same for all centers. January 29, 2023 is the deadline for online registration. The check and the print-out of the application must be mailed to Elena Eliseeva and postmarked by Monday, January 30, 2023).
- The teachers will still register their students through the local centers but enroll ALL their students in one center only.
- March 10 – 13, 2023, Friday – Monday is the exam. The exam will be distributed to all the students no later than 8 am on Friday, March 10, 2023 and must be completed by midnight Monday, March 13, 2023.
- We ask teachers to communicate to parents their need to proctor the test for their children in order to see that there is no cheating, and that the time restriction is observed. They will be also asked to make sure that they have working printers with enough ink in the cartridges.
- On the test day all parents will receive a PDF theory test and a link to download the Ear Training audio files. Then the students will need to complete the test by midnight, Monday, March 13, 2023.
- The teachers will get the Teacher editions for the level(s) of their students from the webmaster on the day of the exam.
- If the teacher wants to monitor their students via Zoom, Skype, etc., of course they can do it, but we can’t require that of all teachers.
- After students complete the test, the students will bring their completed tests to their teachers or send it either electronically (scan and email) or mail to their teacher. The teacher will decide in which format they wish to receive it.
- Teachers will then have two weeks to grade their tests and send the grades to the local chairs by March 27, 2023.
- Local chairs will submit the grades to Elena Eliseeva.
Below are links to applicable pages of the MSMTA website. Some links will require you to login to the MSMTA website.
- Links to test information, rules, RCM Syllabus, practice tests, etc.: https://msmta.org/members-only/index.php
- Student registration: https://msmta.org/registration/
- Testing Centers: https://msmta.org/eventFiles/2023_Theory_Centers.pdf